Finally home with considerably fewer 25 by 25 to-dos remaining.

2013 132

Well it started with a slumber party in Charlotte and ended with a burger run in Charlotte. Both were wonderful; but it was the in-betweens that really made the past week and a half so breathtakingly, incredibly amazing.

I was reminded that:

– I’m blessed to have a wonderful job.

– I LOVE the outdoors. I am a woodsy girl through and through.

– Sometimes doing scary things alone are even more awesome than doing them with someone else.

– You should push yourself to do things. You should push yourself to be active.

– It’s not enough to look. You have to try.

– Traveling (especially air travel) requires an immense amount of trust.

– Some friendships are like steel. They just stay and stay and stay.

– I’m an adventurer at heart.

So, this is what alive feels like?

It started with a long flight to Utah that checked off the 25 by 25 to visit a new state when I set foot in the Minneapolis airport. Then I checked it off again when I stepped out into Utah.

Salt Lake City, Utah was never a place that I imagined visiting. It never would have made a “see before I die” list. So I’m all the more thankful that work sent me there and I saw some pretty wondrous beauty that I may have otherwise missed entirely. The mountains there? Wow. I thought I would compare them more to my home–but they were just simply so different. Every turn I saw another amazing landscape and probably took 500 photos.

2013 056

I was lucky and not only got to crunch in some quick downtown Salt Lake City sights like the Mormon Temple and City Center mall/plaza; but I also got to go skiing at Brighton resort and even made the trek over to Park City to see the hubbub over the Sundance Festival.

2013 058

2013 548

2013 563

2013 109

If only I had been able to see a movie! Not only was that night my first night in Utah, first trip out West and first business trip–it was also my first night staying in a hotel alone.

The following two days were spent working the Outdoor Retailer Winter Market and it was another layer to the great experience of Utah. Since I worked in outdoor retail with Mast General Store for almost five years it was awesome to see all of the brands that I had once sold and experience the excitement of the retail trade show atmosphere. I text my mom so many times to tell her that I had “found my people.”

You know it’s a great day for me when I get to wear plaid, a down vest, jeggings and boots to a work day. I was totally in my groove. Not to mention there were quite a few beautiful boys there, but that’s beside the point . . .

After a lot of hard work, long hours and awesome fun showing off my client and great food (Red Iguana Mexican is totally worth the wait if you’re ever in the area; the mole tasting was just the best) Thursday came way faster than expected.

Unfortunately so did a huge ice storm.

After waking up to see that one of the major interstates was closed, I had to rush a grand old 25 miles per hour on the other interstate to get to the airport in time to return my rental car and check my gigantic baggage. Rushing through security and scurrying to my gate, I was shocked to see that it was still labeled “On Time” when I finally saw our board. After a fairly quick boarding and finally settling in, I got a little anxious thinking about the four hours of flying in front of me. But at least I was going to have WiFi.

As we got ready to taxi over to the runway, the pilot came over the speaker. “Well, looks like a plane slid off the runway, so the airport will be closing indefinitely. We’re going to be sitting on the tarmac a while.” It turned out that a landing airplane had done a 180 on the runway and no departures or arrivals would be taking place for quite a while.

At first I thought we’d be back on the road in no time, but I soon retreated to the terminal. When the speaker announced that flights would likely be re-commencing at 2 p.m. I got excited. Plans were still alive. I would still be in Boston that night, hopefully.

But hopes were dashed quickly when a short ten minutes later my flight was officially cancelled.

The next two hours were spent in a fury finding an alternate route to Boston. It was either a 9:55 AM flight the next morning or a flight schedule from hell that would take me through two connectors overnight.

That meant that I had seven hours to kill before my 8:10 flight to Seattle.

To a restaurant I went. I needed food. And a stiff drink.

Squatters brewery not only gave me a solid lunch and great beer; but the longer I sat there–the more friends I made. There was the cowboy, the North Carolina lady, the Google people and the runner moms. It was so incredible the cycle of people who came through my table. Some staying for 30 minutes, some staying for hours. Before I knew it I had wasted my entire layover with strangers who became short-term friends and all was restored.

It’s funny how the unplanned became one of the most memorable and dramatic parts of my trip. The unplanned made the story pretty lively.

When I finally made it to my Seattle gate I laughed to see a fellow passenger from my original flight also braving the horrendous overnight flight schedule.

Maybe, just maybe, I’ll be able to sleep I thought.

Once I touched down in Seattle I notched my third new state. And also about dissolved to tears. Dear airports, when a person has had that much travel drama in one day–don’t make them go through security again.

While at the gate many people were sharing their travel woes and tires. All it took was a man in fatigues with a sheepish smile saying he was coming from Afghanistan, headed to North Carolina, to give us all a little perspective.

With a little help from a Benadryl, I didn’t even see the take-off from Seattle. After sleeping the whole way to Minneapolis, the next flight to Boston was also a breeze.  Again, a lot of sleep. And a smile when I woke up to see that a flight attendant had left two packs of cookies next to me.

As we finally touched down in Boston at 10 a.m. the next morning the six or so of us who had somehow all united on the final flight let out a bit of a cheer. We all looked gross. But we had made it. 26 hours, four time zones and airports later–we were there.

I was so relieved to not only see my baggage somehow made the full trip, but it was a huge treat to walk outside and see an old, very close friend. It’s funny how you don’t have to talk to some people constantly for them to still feel like home every time you see them.

Sarah and I had tried to plan many trips in the past. But we’re both a little plagued with follow-through issues.

It was a gigantic victory that Sarah mentioned Montreal. I booked a flight. She found us a discount. And we freaking were there. In Boston. And we were roadtripping it.

Massachusetts marked new state number four. A short few miles down the road, New Hampshire became new state number five and a handful of mountains and white steeple churches later we found ourselves in new state number six, Vermont. So many new states. And I only asked for one!

2013 515 2013 518 2013 685 2013 689 2013 690 2013 691


The next six hours were a great adventure of crossing the border and finding ourselves eventually in Montreal, Quebec.

I vastly underestimated the amount of French that we were going to encounter and it was a happy surprise to find myself testing my memory everywhere I turned. I’m sure Sarah got tired of me reading all of the signs out loud; but darn it, I just couldn’t help it ha. It was a lot of fun to remember everything and actually put it to use. Give me a few months there and I was just certain that I’d be mumbling along the French fluently with the best of them. I’m counting this as my 25 by 25 to surround myself with French.

While we were there we mostly ate. It was so freaking cold that you didn’t want to be outside any longer than you had to. But we also fit in a few sites, mostly exploring around Old Montreal. My favorite was the Notre-Dame Basilica. It was absolutely gorgeous and throwback to my 90’s childhood–it was the place where Celine Dion got married. Crazy gorgeous architecture and impressive stained glass. Also came with a side of a history lesson, so that was appreciated.

2013 230

2013 250

2013 259

2013 275

2013 299

2013 315

2013 361

2013 386

2013 408

2013 736


Yup, that’s escargot. And then some poutine. It was a tasty trip. And we walked away with some totally awesome slippers and syrup — ha.

Crazy enough, winter storm Luna caught back up to me on our trip back and we were faced with a ridiculous snow storm driving the six-hour return to Boston. We made a short pit stop at a Mom and Pop Vermont restaurant for breakfast and booked it back to the States.

The best part? Getting my iPhone to work fully again. Oh how I missed mobile internet.

Once we made it to Boston it was really my first opportunity to get a taste of the city.

It’s amazing how different it was than I imagined. Somehow I simply lumped it into the New York City bucket and boy, was I proven wrong. Instead Boston had this great, neighborhood, home and cozy feel. It’s rare that I visit a place I could see myself living; but I really loved Boston. In a mere 24 hours we did the trip halfway downtown to explore Brighton, Alston, Kenmore and peek downtown. We had coffee and bagels and then wandered to Cambridge to see Harvard and some shops, then having some pizza and Sam Adams.

It was such an adorable day. Boston was covered in snow and everyone looked helplessly bundled up. Compared to Montreal though, Sarah and I finally felt comfortable! There were drinks with Sarah’s boyfriend and friends and navigating the train back to their apartment.

Boston was really something and while I was there only for a flash we really packed in some sights. The next morning before my flight home we made a trip to Brookline for pretty much the best French toast I have ever had, witnessed drama when someone fell in front of a train (I don’t think they were hit, but it did cause quite a delay) and a final awesome last stop to see Fenway Park. It was again. . . one more kind of beautiful.

2013 797

2013 814

2013 821

Once I finally returned to Logan International Airport I couldn’t get home fast enough. An anxious flight to Atlanta, a gorgeous sunset from Atlanta to Charlotte and then I was back in Katie’s Jetta. Finally, finally on my way home. This time with some pretty worse-for-the-wear luggage, dirty snow boots, wind-burnt cheeks and a lot more travel savvy.

Truly one of those once-in-a-lifetime trip opportunities and I am so glad that I sucked every good second out of the eight days. I am so proud. I’m doing things. Saying I’ll do them. And doing things. Whew, but I did have one small failure.

That 25 by 25 to get a stamp in my passport? Border services failed me.

So . . .who’s up for some tropical international travel? Let’s start planning. Preferably before October 7 : ).

In the next few weeks I want to do some closer recaps on the great restaurants we visited–but in the meantime, no more hold-ups on me making new posts!

2 thoughts on “Finally home with considerably fewer 25 by 25 to-dos remaining.

  1. Pingback: 2013 was just the prologue. 2014, I’m ready. | actually on the line

  2. Pingback: Actually an Adult. | actually on the line

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s